Global Warming

What is the problem?

  • Global warming will wipe out animals in the polar ice caps, which are currently melting because greenhouse gases (caused by global warming) are slowly warming up the world. If the polar ice caps melt then the sea level will raise rapidly, causing thousands of people to die. The United Nations claims rise of up to 1mm every decade is possible.
  • We know oceans are cooling at present and the planet has shown zero warming in the past decade.Global warming is an important issue because it effects the whole world and not individual people or animals

Why is this a problem?

  • Explain the significance of this issue as a problem. (sorry i didnt find the answer to this question.)
  • We know oceans are cooling at present and the planet has shown zero warming in the past decade. Most of this current warming cycle's warmth has occurred prior to man using fossil fuels (over 99.7%).

Who is affected?

  • Global warming will mostly affect us because it will create floods and so on. But most importantly we will all die of hunger and all our clean water will finish. It will also effect the polar bears and other ice creatures because of the higher temperatures the ice caps are melting this means the creatures will die out. It will effect the environment and some areas will be ruined with things like tsunamis (the ice caps melting means that there will be a rise in sea level).

What will happen if issue is not addressed?

  • Consider the future and the implication if this issue is not addressed (sorry i couldnt find the answer to this question).

Possible Solutions

  • Nuclear power This would stop about 40% of all carbon fuel usage, and therefore about 40% of all industrial carbon dioxide emissions. In the long run, if we can switch to electric cars, we can get rid of the other 60% of industrial CO2 emissions. But electric cars are a waste of time until we convert our electrical generation to nu clear.
  • Deforestation of the Rain Forest Contrary to popular belief, rain forests, and any other UNMANAGED forests, do NOT consume carbon dioxide. Yes, the plants consume CO2, or at least the living ones do. But when a tree dies, it ROTS, and all the carbon stored in its tissue escapes into the atmospher to combine with oxygen to form CO2. If, instead of allowing trees to die and rot, we HARVESTED those trees, and converted them to lumber, that carbon would be locked away (or "sequestered") almost indefinitely. Meanwhile, we could re-plant that area to fast-growing, actively-managed pine forests, and harvest them on a regular cycle, sequestering another 100 tons of carbon per acre per year.
  • Do nothing Chances are that it's just a cycle, that CO2 has very little to do with global temperatures. But even if global warming continues unabated, even the IPCC admits that there are potential POSITIVE effects as well as negative effects, and they REFUSE to predict which will be greater in magnitude. So, it's just as likely to be a good thing as to be a bad thing.

My Story

Practical Solutions

  • Evidence of practical responses that you are involved in to address the issue


external image moz-screenshot.pngglobal_warming.jpg